Saturday, May 28, 2011

Clare Week 7

BY CLARE HOPKINS
VILLAGER STAFF WRITER
My last week of training at Midtown has arrived and I’m going
hard to shed a few more pounds before my final weigh-in.
This past week I had the opportunity to take a spin class with
instructor Amy Williams and was thoroughly challenged. It was an
intense class but I felt really good after, and Amy was an excellent
instructor. I was excited for this class because I love to ride my bike when the weather is warm and I had been missing it.
Spinning is an aerobic exercise that takes place on a stationary
bicycle called a spinning bike. The class involved motivating
music and Amy talking us through the workout. During the class
pace and resistance were changed and we also switched between
standing and sitting. I really liked the way Amy talked us through
the class, I found it really helped me focus.

The benefits of cycling apply to spinning; except spinning can be
done when riding your bike outside is impossible because the snow
and ice are piling up. I also think its beneficial to have an instructor
to guide and push you. But spinning can burn a lot of calories, up
to 500 in half an hour.

I also like spinning and bike riding because it is a low impact
workout. For people with any kind of joint pain I think this is the
perfect way to get a good workout in because it doesn’t put any
pressure on the knees and joints.
Though Mike went a little easier on me this Monday because I
have a cold, we did do a little core training with the medicine ball.
The day after I have a sore core but increased appreciation for the medicine ball.
A medicine ball is a weighted leather or rubber ball that you can
use to do an array of full body exercises. They come in different
sizes and weights and have many advantages.

I sat back on a regular fitness ball while Mike tossed me a
medicine ball from about a foot away. I would catch the ball and
sit up slightly while throwing it back to him. It sounds simple but it
was challenging for my stomach muscles and the rest of my body
trying to stay balanced and throw at the same time.

This exercise and others with the medicine call can really improve
core strength. Instead of isolating one muscle group you are able
to work many different core muscles at once. In this way working
with a medicine ball is different than using the weight machines,
which have a fixed range of motion and therefore target only one
muscle group.

So like I said before I have a cold and am allowing myself one
day to recover and regain some energy so I can get back into my
routine. I hope that by next week I have some impressive results
to share. Again good luck and keep going to everyone else who
started the New Year looking to make a change in their fitness, I
hope everyone is reaching their goals and making progress.

No comments: