Saturday, May 28, 2011

Clare Week 6

BY CLARE HOPKINS
VILLAGER STAFF WRITER
I am into week seven and although my mission towards fitness with Mike will soon be coming to end I am aware now that it is
really a lifetime journey, as inactivity can have a lot of unhealthy effects on the body.
A lot of this journey has really been about educating myself, and feel as though I have learned a great deal, specifically about how
unhealthy avoiding exercise truly is.
Mike shared with me that inactivity has a lot of unhealthy repercussions on a cellular level. Inactivity decreases your body’s ability to move oxygen from the blood stream to the cells and
decrease the number of power activating mitochondria.

There are also many conditions that can be made worse by
inactivity. For example studies have shown that men and women
who are physically active have a 30 to 40 percent risk of colon
cancer compared to individuals who are inactive.

As February is Heart Month I should also mention that a lack
of physical activity over time can decrease the function of heart
muscle and can affect the blood vessels including the large aortic
artery to the veins and small capillaries. Many studies have shown
that exercise can protect your heart.

Besides physical health, a lack of exercise can also be detrimental
to your mental health. People who don’t exercise on a regular basis
could be more prone to develop depression and people who are
fitness conscious more often display improved self-esteem.
Not that I am trying to scare anyone into exercising, because I
don’t think fear should be a main motivator. However I think it’s
important to remember how avoiding the gym or exercising in
general can seriously affect your health.

I know now netter than anyone how fun it can actually be to get a
workout in. I have been having a great time at the kickboxing class
every Thursday, taught by Earl Rosebrooks. I have to say it’s my
favorite class I’ve taken so far because it’s very high energy and
challenging but also a really good time. Earl is a really enthusiastic
and knowledgeable teacher so I really look forward to going every
week. Like I’ve mentioned before I’m always looking for extra
motivation to exercise and this class has kept me showing up every
week since I started so I would really recommend it.

I also had the opportunity to enjoy a Karate class this week with
Mike and Kristin. This was my first time trying Karate so it was a
completely new experience but it left me wanting more.
I wasn’t aware it would be such a workout but I was sweating by
the time the hour had run out. Karate obviously has many of the
same physical benefits as regular exercise but I think it also has a
lot of mental benefits.

I spent most of the class learning self-defense techniques from
Kristin and I found it very empowering. I think over time people
in Karate, especially women, can develop a lot of confidence in
themselves and their ability to defend themselves. I know I left that
class feeling very positively about myself, though I am an extreme
beginner.

One thing I am not feeling positive about is my arm strength,
which is something I guess I have neglected over these weeks. My
pathetic attempt at a bicep curl elicited some laughs from Mike
on Monday. So I continue this week with the goal to improve my
bicep strength so as not to feel so embarrassed when I meet with
Mike next week.

No comments: