Saturday, May 28, 2011

Clare Week 5

BY CLARE HOPKINS
VILLAGER STAFF WRITER
So here I am at week six, even with all of Mike’s attempts to torture me and make me suffer in new ways each Monday.
Really though I’m just kidding about the torture and suffering. I actually haven’t felt tortured during this whole process at all and I
hate to think I am giving the impression that Mike is inflicting this terrible agony upon me each week. I have certainly felt challenged,
which Mike says is a much more positive word than suffering and I
am trying to use more positive words.

My situation is different from most people looking to lose weight
because I have a much shorter time to reach my goals. Whereas in
the beginning I had one week to “lay the foundation” other people
might take a month.

So I think Mike challenging me each week is due to this time limit.
Though it can be taxing I’m incredibly happy with my results so
far and I know I wouldn’t have been able to attain these results
without Mike pushing me the whole time.
So this week Mike helped me work on my balance and stretching.
I think people overlook the importance of these two components of
fitness in their workout, probably because they don’t directly affect
the way your body looks but more the way it moves. However both
are important for things like flexibility, core strength, and mobility.
One strength exercise with a balance component that Mike showed
me involved a wobble board and two 10-pound weights. A wobble
board is a plastic disk with a flat top to stand on and a ball on the
bottom that causes the instability.

While balancing on the board I did some tricep and bicep
curls. Mike explained that unlike the strength machines, which
have a fixed range of motion, this exercise would call other

complimentary muscles into play. Using a wobble board can help
strengthen knees, ankles, and core muscles. I also found it to be a
rather fun exercise, though it was challenging at first to focus on
both balancing and the arm exercise.

I also learned about the importance of stretching. In the past I
have neglected stretching properly, mostly because I just felt
too lazy after working out. It turns out stretching is actually
really important as it can improve flexibility, range of motion,
circulation, and can also relieve stress. I was unsure of whether
stretching was appropriate before or after working out and Mike
suggested stretching after a workout, when the muscles are
warmed up and limbering up before a workout.

I was actually unsure of most things regarding exercise before
I began this journey and now I’m so glad I had this opportunity
because I feel as if I’ve learned so much. I would really suggest
seeing a personal trainer just to have someone who knows what
they’re doing share their knowledge with you, especially if you’re
like me and you’re not sure where to begin or end when you walk
into the gym. They can also help give you the motivation needed
to stick to a routine that will help you reach your goals. I would
definitely not be experiencing any weight loss or improved fitness
without Mike’s encouragement and support. Maybe some people
really can do it on their own, but if you’re like me and need an
extra push then I think it’s the best option for seriously committing
to making yourself healthy.

No comments: